Sunday, May 11, 2008

Last of the last minute stuff

I can't speak for the rest of the guys, but for myself, I've still got a few things to pack. For instance, I forgot to pack my motorcycle riding boots on the bike when it was shipped out. So I'll have to take them. I've been trying to decide if I should pack them, or just wear them on the plane and buy some sneakers once we get to Portland. That would seriously reduce the carry-on bag's weight and size.

Another thing is my gear. The gear I intended to wear is on the bike. This includes several pairs of gloves, ranging from mesh free-flowing gloves to full on insulated, heated cold-weather gloves. It also includes my heated vest, my Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket and riding pants, and some rain over-gear (rather than the Alter Ego's rain liners). Just makes more sense to have over-gear rain gear than to have to stop and zip-in a water layer.

However, I just go hold of a Fieldsheer Highlander one-piece riding suit that could, conceivably, take the place of the Alter Ego stuff *and* the rain gear. I got it on closeout for less than half the regular retail price. Do I take that and ship the other stuff home upon arrival? Again, it would lighten and simplify the on-the-road packing considerably. So that would have to be rolled up and added to the carry-on. I don't know.

Then, of course, there are my personal electronics... my MacBook, my GPS (the mount and all that is already on the bike, along with the Autocomm system), my GMRS two-way radios for bike-to-bike comms, my iPod and, of course, my cell phone. The iPod and cell phone will also have to have their chargers, too. They're all small, but add up in a single carry-on bag.

I'll need a book for the plane. My friend Jason Clark has graciously agreed to let me borrow his copy of Small Favor (the most recent Harry Dresden novel from Jim Butcher) for use on the plane and during down time when I might want to read. I'm also bringing my copy of Infected by Scott Sigler for him to sign if we can make a connection in San Fran. Again, alone, each is fine, but when packing into a carry on, it all adds up.

Cash, credit cars, ID, itinerary, spare keys, tooth brush, etc., etc., and etc. Sheesh, I thought I had this all thought out. I had originally intended to walk off the plane with the barest of packings, ready to literally hop on the bike and go. But now... sheesh.

How did I forget and mis-manage so much while packing up? I'm chalking it up to excitement. Yeah... yeah, that's it. Excitement. Age and having a mind like a steel sieve have nothing at all to do with it.

I do know one thing, though... 4 days from now I'll be half way across the continent and on my way. This trip has been a long time coming.

Too much time on my hands, its ticking away at my sanity
Ive got too much time on my hands, its hard to believe such a calamity
Ive got too much time on my hands and its ticking away from me
Too much time on my hands, too much time on my hands
Too much time on my hands
-- Tommy Shaw, STYX

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, I'm so excited for you, and am really looking forward to hearing about the trip as it unfolds! Pics, take LOTS of pics!! (And don't forget to let us know when you're getting close to Danville..."Casa Bella" will be happy to accomodate you.)

I've already started double checking my camping lists for the middle of June - that'll be my overnighter on the T.
Ride safe, friend.

Anonymous said...

Oops, that previous comment was from me, EclecticDawn!

Anonymous said...

I've hiked thru Yosemite. You're biking it. Either way, enjoy the serenity of it. And, while in Vegas, you must ride over Hoover Dam (30 miles from downtown Vegas). How can you not take time for Hoover! Safe journey.
Karl
"Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."